Classical Music

Music has always been an integral part of my life, simply because it is where my passion lies. I was exposed to the beauty of music long bef...

Music has always been an integral part of my life, simply because it is where my passion lies.

I was exposed to the beauty of music long before I was born, while I was still in repose, blanketed in the warmth of my mummy's womb. Euphonious music filled my ears whenever my mum tuned in to instrumental music at bedtime. Although I don't have any recollection of what I heard and everything I said was based on my mum's vicarious experience, I believe that was when my love for music began to blossom.

Of all the various genres of music, I have always found classical music the most appealing. This may come as a surprise to many, but Class 92.4FM is my all-time favourite radio station. Perhaps it's due to my musical background, the education I received in the music elective program in secondary school, or just my desire to embrace classical music in its entirety.

Few comprehend, or even appreciate classical music. Many find it difficult to relate to, boring, or even unoriginal and cliche (due to the many classical music cd ads that you see on tv replaying the same old tunes over and over again).

But beneath the seemingly aloof and aristocratic exterior lies treasured works of composers that remain unrivaled to this day.

Don't believe me? Take a listen to some of my favourite works:

1) Piano Concerto in C Major K467 'Elvira Madigan' by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (in fact, this is my absolute favourite piece! Composed by THE music prodigy and also one of the most well-known composers of all times)

2) Liebestraum by Liszt (Ok I admit this is cliche because almost all the classical music compilations have this)

3) Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy (an impressionist composer whose piano melodies I so adore)

4) The Swan from 'Carnival of the Animals' by Saint Saens

5) Beethoven's sonatas, especially No.8 (Pathetique) and No. 14 Moonlight (Beethoven is definitely no stranger to you I hope haha. Aside from Symphony No.5 and No. 9, which he is most famous for, his sonatas are definitely worth a listen)

6) La Traviata (Opera) by Verdi

7) Practically all of Chopin's Etudes and Nocturnes :) (He's an amazing composer of the Romantic Era)

Nonetheless, I have always found the term 'Classical Music' rather disturbing because it does not accurately depict the actual era that the music is from (unless the composer was from the classical era). Composers and their music typically fall into 4 eras, starting from the Baroque era, followed by the Classical era (where such music gradually attained courtly importance), the Romantic era, and the Modern era. Each era was characterized by very distinct musical styles, and the evolution of music throughout these eras is indeed fascinating.

Only a handful of people know that I play the piano, and that I even have distinctions in both my Grade 8 ABRSM exams as well as 'O' levels (MEP) to make my parents proud. However, one of my deepest regrets to date is my inability to make my passion my career, due to a multitude of other reasons which I shall not bore you with.

Certainly, my love for the piano has never wavered nor dwindled, and one of my resolutions (this year or the next) is to pursue music further, not so much as a career, but as an interest. Hopefully, time permits. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Show Comments: OR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...