Immaterial Needs

Sometimes, I wonder why many of us lead life the way we do. The paper chase, followed by the scale up the corporate ladder/social ladder, w...

Sometimes, I wonder why many of us lead life the way we do.

The paper chase, followed by the scale up the corporate ladder/social ladder, which ultimately leads to the perennial pursuit of material satisfaction. A vicious cycle, that's what it is. Are we morphing into a nation of robots? Is this really what we want to do? Why are we doing this to ourselves?

For survival, you say. On the contrary, I think it's because most of us have an insatiable thirst for material wants but a blatant disregard for immaterial needs and our spiritual well-being. We contribute to the economy by spending, but we do not contribute to society. Given our apathetic attitude towards most issues (in general), few Singaporeans would stand up for others in times of need or when situations warrant a 3rd party's intervention.

Of late, I've been thinking about doing charity work. Perhaps my current job (which I have since resigned from!! YAY! ) has made me so burnt out that it spurred me to rethink my priorities in life.

For instance, I no longer find clothes, shoes and accessories as intriguing as before. Shopping used to be an avenue for me to relieve stress and to reward myself for all the hard work that I put in. It made me happy, albeit only momentarily. It only just dawned on me that the miraculous effect of shopping has worn off after years of intensive shopping. :P

I would be taking time off to focus on other interests. I might do some charity work and also pursue my music diploma while working part-time (yup, work will no longer take centre stage). Many of my friends have been very kind and supportive, so much so that they have gone out of the way to link me up with potential employers or to notify me of job openings. I feel so blessed. :)

To sum it up, this episode of my life appears to be a blessing in disguise.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Show Comments: OR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...