Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock Review

 Did you know that my very first sunblock was from Neutrogena? I used to be rather dark-skinned during my teenage years as a result ...




 Did you know that my very first sunblock was from Neutrogena? I used to be rather dark-skinned during my teenage years as a result of constant sun exposure from physical education classes. Believe it or not, nobody believed that I was Chinese then. Out of vanity (I had no concept of sun protection or skin cancer then), I turned to Neutrogena's whitening suncare. I remember it was slightly greasy but still relatively lightweight compared to its contemporaries, hence I started using it religiously on my face. Looking back, it was one of the best things that I did for my skin because not only was I able to protect my skin from harmful UV rays that could have resulted in premature ageing, it also helped my skin to regain its fairness.

Fast forward to about two decades later, Neutrogena has made remarkable improvements to its suncare range to cater to our humid climate and skin concerns. For instance, its Ultra Sheer Sunblock range has everything that I wish for in a sunscreen:
 
  • Invisible, weightless feel on the skin
  • Non-greasy, matte finish  
  • Doesn't clog pores as it is PABA free and non-comedogenic 
  • Superior broad spectrum protection against skin-aging UVA and skin-burning UVB rays thanks to its Helioplex TechnologyHere's why it is important to have protection against both UVA & UVB rays:



    Helioplex® Technology



What exactly is Helioplex Technology?
Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Sunblock products are formulated using chemical filters as they are known to provide more coverage against UVA and UVB rays than physical sunblock.

One of the most powerful FDA-approved chemical filters for protection against UVA is Avobenzone, but it is highly unstable under sunlight. Neutrogena was among the first in the US market to stabilize this filter by adding Oxybenzone and DEHN. This breakthrough technology was named Helioplex.  

Not all sunblocks are created equal and there is a sunblock for every occasion. In today's post, I will be reviewing not one but two Ultra Sheer Sunblock products that are perfect for Singapore's climate.


Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++



 I used to only apply sunblock on my body when I am at the beach, but given the blazing sun and unforgiving temperatures of late, I have started using body sunblock on a daily basis. 
 
As its name suggests, the Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock feels ultra-light and has a non-shiny finish. Besides providing broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays, it is also waterproof, sweat-proof and rub-proof, making it the perfect body sunblock for our humid climate. You can use it for sports and outdoor activities too.



For optimal results, apply it liberally on your body 15-30 minutes before sun exposure. Again, I know many of us are lazy when it comes to re-application, but I cannot stress the importance of re-applying your sunblock every few hours, especially after water sports, sweating, towel drying or if you are exposed to the sun for an extended period of time.




This sunblock has a creamy consistency and a light floral scent that is reminiscent of a body moisturizer. It spreads easily and glides on like a dream, leaving a sheer, matte powdery finish on my skin without any greasy after-feel.





I am in love with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock's non-oily formula as it provides a veil of high sun protection (SPF50+++) without that icky sticky feeling. 


Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Complete UV Waterlight Lotion SPF 50+ PA+++





In a country like Singapore where we experience high humidity and year-round summer temperatures, the last thing we would want to do is to slather thick, greasy sunblock on our faces. In fact, I have many friends who choose not to apply sunblock on their faces for this very reason despite knowing that they are putting their skin at risk.



 If you have similar concerns, you may want to give Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Complete UV Waterlight Lotion a go. Shake the bottle well before applying the sunblock to your face and body at least 15-30 minutes before heading out under the sun.





Formulated with Helioplex and Dry-Touch technology, its fluid, non-oily and non-sticky texture absorbs readily into my skin and dries to a sheer finish. It also feels absolutely featherlight, just like an oil-free moisturizer. It adds a slight glow to my face, but if you prefer a matte appearance, there's nothing that a little loose powder can't fix.






If you love the convenience of multi-tasking skincare products, you'll be happy to know that this sunblock also doubles up as a makeup base. As I typically reserve foundations for special occasions, I would usually just add a light dust of blusher on top of my sunblock and off I go to face the world.



Powerful sun protection, non-greasy after feel and non-shiny finish - these three attributes pretty much sum up Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Sunblock series in a nutshell. I would highly recommend this series especially if you're based in hot and humid countries like Singapore.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Show Comments: OR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...